9 posts

View new posts

A place for friends and contributors to the Wonderland Translations project to meet and collaborate.

Dainana Joshikai Houkou

A space to discuss series released by Wonderland Translations.

Dainana Joshikai Houkou

Postby Joshlemagne » Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:40 pm

I would have made a thread in the series discussion subforum, but it doesn't seem like I can.

Anyway I've been working with Overload scans recently on Mikake no Nijuusei, by the same author as Dainana Joshikai Houkou. Anyway I mentioned I wasn't sure why you guys stopped with it and it was brought to my attention that the reason you listed was missing pages in the raw. We had the same problem with Mikake and managed to use a digital camera to get shots of the missing pages and clean them up enough to use. The results aren't 100% perfect, but I doubt that very many people noticed when all is said and done. I wondered if there might be any way I can help and maybe get things rolling again? Dainana is one of my favorite manga in recent years and I like to see lots of people exposed to it. And I think some of the best chapters are yet to be translated.
Joshlemagne

Title: Minion

Re: Dainana Joshikai Houkou

Postby osakaki » Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:12 pm

Hey there. I guess we have some forum permissions to tweak, so thanks for bringing that to our attention.

Yeah, there are four pages, I believe, missing in the raw of volume three that's floating around online. Once I've got a hold of those, it would be pretty smooth sailing (depending on the cleaning) to start releasing again. If you think you could help with that, that'd be awesome. It really is an underrated manga. I'll PM you which pages we need when I get home from work and can look at the raws again. Can you tell me which pages in your project were taken with a camera? I'm interested to see how much of a quality difference there is after I know. I didn't notice anything weird when I was reading it. I've been reading your guys' releases of it. Good to see you're doing it justice. :D

I was interested in translating Mikake, too, but we just went on to other things instead. Luckily I didn't have 160 pages translated like I did when I saw a group had started putting Hadi Girl out. :P

And thanks for the offer!
osakaki
Site Admin

Title: Kill the spam!

Postby Joshlemagne » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:37 pm

Can you tell me which pages in your project were taken with a camera?

Page 26 in chapter 2. I think pages 10 and 11 of chapter 2. And the title page of chapter 3 and Pages 8 and 9 of chapter 3. They are very slightly blurry in parts if you know to look, but our cleaner, RingoCygnus, really did an awesome job. Especially if you look at the quality of the pictures he started with :D he made me re-take the pictures like four times until he got ones he could work with. But it was worth it in the end. And I think that now I've learned enough I could probably do it without too much trouble.

Yeah, there are four pages, I believe, missing in the raw of volume three that's floating around online. Once I've got a hold of those, it would be pretty smooth sailing (depending on the cleaning) to start releasing again. If you think you could help with that, that'd be awesome. It really is an underrated manga. I'll PM you which pages we need when I get home from work and can look at the raws again.

If you have time could you check volumes 4 and 5 as well? I have to borrow the camera so it's a bit more convenient to do it all at once, if there's any more missing. Here's a zip of the missing pages from Mikake just to give you an idea of the quality you'd have to be working with. If you guys don't think you could work with quality like that I might be able to convince Ringo to work on them if it's just three or four pages. But I can't promise anything since I know it was a lot of work for him.

I was interested in translating Mikake, too, but we just went on to other things instead. Luckily I didn't have 160 pages translated like I did when I saw a group had started putting Hadi Girl out.

Speaking of not overlapping effort, I thought I saw you guys were working on a new 4koma at some point. It wouldn't happen to be Tonari no Nanige-san would it? I've been thinking about doing that one for awhile and it seems like the kind of thing that might catch you guys' attention, based on your previous stuff.
Joshlemagne

Postby osakaki » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:13 pm

Joshlemagne wrote:Page 26 in chapter 2. I think pages 10 and 11 of chapter 2. And the title page of chapter 3 and Pages 8 and 9 of chapter 3. They are very slightly blurry in parts if you know to look, but our cleaner, RingoCygnus, really did an awesome job. Especially if you look at the quality of the pictures he started with :D he made me re-take the pictures like four times until he got ones he could work with. But it was worth it in the end. And I think that now I've learned enough I could probably do it without too much trouble.

I can kinda see it now that you mention it, yeah. But it's not easily noticeable. So that's good.

If you have time could you check volumes 4 and 5 as well? I have to borrow the camera so it's a bit more convenient to do it all at once, if there's any more missing. Here's a zip of the missing pages from Mikake just to give you an idea of the quality you'd have to be working with. If you guys don't think you could work with quality like that I might be able to convince Ringo to work on them if it's just three or four pages. But I can't promise anything since I know it was a lot of work for him.p

I checked them after I noticed volume 3's problem and didn't come up with anything missing. I'll look at the link when I get home.

Speaking of not overlapping effort, I thought I saw you guys were working on a new 4koma at some point. It wouldn't happen to be Tonari no Nanige-san would it? I've been thinking about doing that one for awhile and it seems like the kind of thing that might catch you guys' attention, based on your previous stuff.

That one is news to me. I'll look forward to it, though. :D
osakaki
Site Admin

Postby Joshlemagne » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:26 pm

I checked them after I noticed volume 3's problem and didn't come up with anything missing. I'll look at the link when I get home.

I might check against my copies just to make absolutely sure. The ones missing from Mikake were hard to notice because they were'nt really plot-relevant. If there hadn't been a missing chapter title page I might not have noticed at all. Of course the page numbering was off in an odd way too.

I looked at a couple of the missing pages in DJH and the chapter didn't make any sense without them. There might be one or two sneaky ones in there somewhere, though.
Joshlemagne

Postby osakaki » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:07 am

The missing pages are 54-57. I noticed in the images you posted that you can see panel lines, etc, from the other page. I wonder if putting a piece of paper (dark paper might work?) under the one page you're taking a picture of might help with that. Luinthoron, the guy who scanned our Sotomura raws, said that helped cut down on that when he was scanning.
osakaki
Site Admin

Postby Tsss » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:19 am

Working with scans like that wouldn't be much trouble, I have seen and worked with a lot worst before.

On the other hand, cut-panels like on the image IMG_1370 would need to be addressed on your side. Or the corner of IMG_1354 for example.

We can correct the missing white borders quite easily to make everything look uniform with PS. So if it's only a few pages, I could do it.
Tsss

Postby Joshlemagne » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:35 am

The missing pages are 54-57. I noticed in the images you posted that you can see panel lines, etc, from the other page. I wonder if putting a piece of paper (dark paper might work?) under the one page you're taking a picture of might help with that. Luinthoron, the guy who scanned our Sotomura raws, said that helped cut down on that when he was scanning.

That's a good idea. I will give that a try.

Working with scans like that wouldn't be much trouble, I have seen and worked with a lot worst before.

On the other hand, cut-panels like on the image IMG_1370 would need to be addressed on your side. Or the corner of IMG_1354 for example.

We can correct the missing white borders quite easily to make everything look uniform with PS. So if it's only a few pages, I could do it.

This is one reason I tried to get multiple shots for each page. So that if there's a problem with one one of the others would be better. Or that the good parts from different attempts could be pasted together to make one good page. Unfortunately the artwork in Mikake sometimes went right to the edge of the page. And because I had to use something heavy on all three sides to keep it flat enough for the lines to be straight a small amount was cut off. Looking at DJH, pages 54 and 55 are like that as well. A couple of panels go straight to the edge of the page so I'll do what I can but a tiny bit might have to be cut off.

I'll try and get the pages as soon as I can. Hopefully I'll be able to by this weekend.
Joshlemagne

Postby Lily-hime » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:03 am

Joshlemagne wrote:I would have made a thread in the series discussion subforum, but it doesn't seem like I can.

This should be fixed now maybe. Sorry for being an absentee admin. :oops:

If you run across anything else not working, feel free to PM me.
Lily-hime
Site Admin

Title: Officially a princess!

Return to Series Discussion